Re: A few observations about systemd

2011/7/18 Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no>:
> | The main issue I have with dropping kFreeBSD & HURD would be (apart from
> | losing two platforms I use - even if for fun only; I don't want to use a
> | distribution that doesn't allow me to have as much fun as I do now) that
> | it leads down the path of dropping whatever a vocal upstream decides to
> | don't care about.
>
> Just for the record: Hurd's no longer in unstable and hasn't been for a
> while.

I'm confused... I just checked and Hurd is in unstable.  Did you mean
something else?

> I'm not arguing for dropping kfreebsd, and I would like some of the
> kFreeBSD porters to speak up with suggestions on how to handle the
> situation best for them.  After all, it's they who have to live with
> whatever solution we end up with.

I missed the rest of the discussion, but if the proposal is to replace
sysvinit with systemd, that wouldn't force removal of any non-Linux
port.  It'd be an annoying inconvenient though, as it'd just make it
diverge a bit more than it already does.

Have you considered InitNG instead?  It seems to have similar goals as
upstart/systemd without sacrificing portability:

http://initng.org/trac

--
Robert Millan