Re: How Debian Deals with Data

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 at 01:31:21 +0200, Arno Töll wrote:
> On 16.07.2011 00:20, Christopher Baines wrote:
> > The actual package would just contain the rules and checksums for the
> > files it tries to fetch, but not the data itself
>
> just as a random alternative idea (where other people may judge whether
> it is a good idea or not): There might still be benefits of letting dpkg
> handle the installation stuff, even if you don't want to have such a
> large amount of data in the archives.

It might be worth comparing the old quake2-data (see snapshot.debian.org) with
game-data-packager's use to produce quake3-data etc. - the former behaves
as Christopher suggested, the latter behaves as Arno suggested.

(This is mainly for legal reasons - the data files are proprietary and must
not be distributed - but if they were non-free-but-distributable we might
still want to use g-d-p for size reasons.)

I noticed the other day that Ubuntu still has an old copy of quake3-data from
pkg-games svn, which behaves like quake2-data used to. I should probably
ask them to remove it, since they also have game-data-packager...