Re: Switching /etc/mtab to symlink to /proc/mounts

On Sat, Jul 09, 2011 at 11:26:58AM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 02:02:01PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Roger Leigh wrote:
> >
> > >   /etc/mtab - symlink to /proc/self/mounts (494001)
> >
> > debootstrap (but seems ok; only removes file not symlink)
> >
> > busybox
>
> Not configured to use or write /etc/mtab AFAICT
> (CONFIG_FEATURE_MTAB_SUPPORT is not set)
>
> > lilo-installer
> > aboot-installer
> > debian-installer-utils
> > grub-installer
> > arcboot-installer
> > palo-installer
> > elilo-installer
> >
> > Any of these could break even with the symlink if, for example,
> > /target/proc is not mounted when they try to use /target/etc/mtab.
> > Several I've looked at (lilo-installer and grub-installer) try to
> > overwrite /etc/mtab.
>
> I've had a look at all of these, and they all contain logic to
> check for a symlink, and abort if one is present.  Some would
> try to read the symlink, so it looks like the main cause of
> breakage would be (as you said avoid) if /target/proc is not
> mounted.
>
> Surely /target/proc can be mounted prior to any of the above
> being run?  I'm not too familiar with the installer, but I
> thought this was already the case?

As far as I can tell, we now only have two blockers preventing
switching /etc/mtab to symlink to /proc/mounts:

#620818 cifs-utils
#622693 libpam-mount

preventing us fixing #494001.  Are there any other known issues
which would prevent us from making the switch?

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh