Re: /run in *unstable*: migration of /lib/init/rw, /dev/.*

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 02:02:01PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Roger Leigh wrote:
>
> >   /etc/mtab - symlink to /proc/self/mounts (494001)
>
> debootstrap (but seems ok; only removes file not symlink)
>
> busybox

Not configured to use or write /etc/mtab AFAICT
(CONFIG_FEATURE_MTAB_SUPPORT is not set)

> lilo-installer
> aboot-installer
> debian-installer-utils
> grub-installer
> arcboot-installer
> palo-installer
> elilo-installer
>
> Any of these could break even with the symlink if, for example,
> /target/proc is not mounted when they try to use /target/etc/mtab.
> Several I've looked at (lilo-installer and grub-installer) try to
> overwrite /etc/mtab.

I've had a look at all of these, and they all contain logic to
check for a symlink, and abort if one is present.  Some would
try to read the symlink, so it looks like the main cause of
breakage would be (as you said avoid) if /target/proc is not
mounted.

Surely /target/proc can be mounted prior to any of the above
being run?  I'm not too familiar with the installer, but I
thought this was already the case?

Regards,
Roger

--