Re: Moving bash from essential/required to important?

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 06:04:20PM +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
> Hi
>
> bash is not the default system shell anymore. It's now only the default
> user shell. As such it is not required for a sysadmin to boot and
> install software. Besides that some users would like to get rid of bash
> in their environment which is obviously not easily done atm.
>
> The most obvious reason to not degrade bash to Priority: important is
> obviously that one needs to declare a dependency on bash when it's used
> in a package. Which means quite some packages will need to be changed.
>
> What do others think of moving bash to important (required and important
> are part of the base system)?

I definitely like this idea.  While I wouldn't ever uninstall bash on my
own laptop/server/whatever (unless someone comes along with a nice
replacement), dropping it on embedded devices makes a lot of sense.

Regards: David
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //