Re: does aptitude really need to lock the status database when downloading?

Hi !

On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 09:47:21AM -0200, Fernando Lemos wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 6:57 AM, Stanislav Maslovski
[...]
> > As Julian Taylor mentioned, there is also another side of the same
> > problem: aptitude itself can be improved so that it is able to
> > download and unpack in parallel. If it were doing this then the lock
> > would be justified.
>
> As far as I know, apt-get already downloads in parallel. Not sure
> about aptitude.

I think it does, when on different servers IIRC. But I believe what
Stanislas mean is to unpack while downloading the rest of the packages.
I often wondered why it wasn't the case, but I've assumed so far that
there was probably a reason I just could not think of :)

Regards,

Simon