Re: Bits from ftp-team (aka: Don't upload RC fixes to NEW queue)

Hi,

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> Please note that we see your arguments and agree completely, but please
> also note it's not as easy as it sounds.  IIRC recently PostgreSQL 9.x
> was accepted, resulting in some packages not being able to migrate to
> testing.
>
> I think there's has already been the case, that a ABI breaking library
> was accepted to experimental (hey, it was only experimental, was it?),
> and later uploaded by the maintainer to unstable, leading to unpleasant
> results as well.  (Granted, not during this freeze.)
>
> So, I can choose between helping the release by trying to fix some RC
> bugs, or getting kicked by the release team for accepting $package, I
> usually choose the former ;)

OK, that's a reason to avoid package churn in existing source packages and
thus letting packages with new binaries sit in NEW for a while. It doesn't
apply to entirely new packages however.

Thanks for your answer and for clearing up the ambiguities.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer ◈ [Flattr=20693]

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)