Re: The story behind UPG and umask.

Am Tue, 25 May 2010 23:30:49 +0100
schrieb Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org>:

> adduser has had bugs filed in the past asking for uid to be equal to
> gid by default, and I have so far rejected them as not worth the
> complexity for the aesthetic pleasure of having numbers match.  Is
> there some problem with username == primary group name?

I think ensuring UID==GID by default allows having
automatic umask relaxation for UPGs to work and not
compromising security, even in corner cases when the system is setup in
other environments. Besides making UPGs and permissions more cleanly
visible/detectable/adjustable on removable filesystems or tarballs
(where you can only see numerical IDs).

Cheers,
Christian