Re: anyone using interactive bugscripts

Josselin Mouette schrieb:
> Le lundi 08 juin 2009 à 14:06 +0200, Bastian Venthur a écrit :
>>> The installation-reports script is quite interactive.
>> Ok.
>
>> If no packages (or only a handfull) used this feature than asking to
>> depreciate this feature would have been an option, but in this case I
>> have to see how I can handle the problem with the terminal.
>
> Frankly, there’s a limit to what can be done for the sake of backwards
> compatibility. Such scripts will be an issue for the GTK+ frontend to
> reportbug as well, and there is really not much point in asking
> questions interactively.
>
> From now on, I’d say we can either:
>       * force such scripts to use an abstraction layer to prompt the
>         user;
>       * forbid explicit user interaction in the bug script, and use
>         special cases for things like installation-reports.

My medium term solution is to make rng depend on xterm and use that
instead of x-terminal-emulator. "xterm -e cmd" seems to return only if
the cmd returned.

I agree that reportbu'gs GTK+ frontend will have similar issues like rng
since it does not run i a shell anymore so reportbug's current approach
to just start the script in it's own shell context will not work anymore.

Cheers,

Bastian
--
Bastian Venthur                                      http://venthur.de
Debian Developer                                 venthur at debian org