Re: New source package formats now available

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009, Charles Plessy wrote:
> That would be a useful compromise. How about the second half, which is to not
> patch anything during the unpacking of the package? Maybe this could be
> combined in a single ‘no-patch’ option, or an alias like ’3.0 (simple)’?

There's already --skip-patches, but options in debian/source/options only
apply at build time obviously (and not at unpack time since that file is
not unpacked yet).

> Le Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 12:30:12PM -0800, Russ Allbery a écrit :
> > I can understand not wanting, in the very long run, to support multiple patch
> > formats.
>
> Does that mean that the use of options discussed above may become forbidden in
> our archive in the future? If yes, there is little point making concessions now…

I don't understand how you can jump to that conclusion from this
discussion.

Obviously, we don't want to have many formats in the archive and it's best
if "3.0 (quilt)" is flexible enough so that we don't have to invent many
other formats.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog