Re: New source package formats now available

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 10:48:14AM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Because you want the patch to be clearly identified and to carry its
> meta-information. Or because maybe you're applying 2 separate patches in
> the same NMU upload.

"Fixing cosmetic issues or changing the packaging style in NMUs is
discouraged."

Adding a patching system is surely changing the packaging style.

> > OTOH, "dpkg-source -x" should result in the same tree (including the .pc
> > directory), whatever the status of quilt installation is on the system.
> > Or if that is not possible without quilt, then dpkg-dev should depend on
> > quilt.
>
> I don't agree with that statement. dpkg-source implements a subset of
> quilt to work without that tool installed, that subset defines the
> interface of the source package and it does not include the .pc directory
> in the general case. If you want that part which is internal to quilt
> itself, you just have to install quilt.

My point is : dpkg-source -x should be idempotent, whatever other
packages are installed when you do it. The fact that you can't
dpkg-source -x, and *then* install quilt to manage the patches is a
nuisance.

Mike