Re: Bits from the FTPMaster meeting

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 00:36, Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 07:44:18PM +0100, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> <snip>>
>>
>> While I like the "source + trow away" solution, I'd also like to ask
>> you to please consider some methods to allow the "throw away" step on
>> the developer machine, for example having dput/dupload not upload the
>> .debs (so .changes still has them listed, but are not actually
>> uploaded) and still accepting the upload.
>>
>> There are (still) people with slow internet connections or with very
>> huge packages, with several binary packages, that would benefit a lot
>> with this option.
>>
>> Additionally, things like NMUs or QA uploads (so where the tarball is
>> not, generally, changed), would reduce to a ".dsc + .diff.gz +
>> .changes" file set, that's a lot faster to upload.
>>
>> Thanks for considering,
>
> I assume there is some check done on ftp-master involving the binary for some
> reasons. Would it be possible to do this check on the developers machine and
> simplely send a 'it passed the check' message instead? Thus saving the bandwidth?

Or run them on the buildd-generated packages (ah, btw, are the
lintian-autoreject check run on buildd binaries?). Since we are not
enabling source-only uploads because there's no trust in developers to
do proper uploads, then we can't believe those information to not be
forged to "fake" a proper upload. Also, on developers machine there
can be a different lintian version than the one on ftp queue machine,
thus generating misalignments etc etc.

Regards,