Re: Bits from the FTPMaster meeting

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 02:04:28 pm Carlo Segre wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Nov 2009, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> > The current "winning" opinion is to go with the source+throw away
> > binaries route.  We are close to being able to achieve this, it is
> > simply that it has not yet been enabled.  Before any version of this
> > can be enabled, buildd autosigning needs to be implemented in order
> > that dak can differentiate buildd uploads vs maintainer uploads.
>
> It may be necessary to also move the building of contrib packages to the
> unofficial non-free buildd network.  As it stands any contrib package
> which has a non-free Build-Depends is not guaranteed to build on all
> architectures since not all the buildd systems include the non-free
> archives.  Up to now it has been possible to do binary uploads to work
> around this and get as many architectures in the archive as possible to
> build manually.  When this new option is enabled, it will no longer be
> possible.
As I understood it, it is still possible for DDs to do binary-only uploads (as
allowed per GR). This throwing away of the binary package is only for the
initial source+binary upload.
(In an ideal world, there should be no need for DDs to do binary-only uploads
by hand, but in reality it has to happen every now and then, at least for
security).

Cheers
Steffen