Re: GDM, getty and VTs

Hello

Christian Perrier wrote the following on 15.11.2009 07:13

> Quoting Kurt Roeckx (kurt@roeckx.be):
>
>>>       * I don't think we need more than 2 of these. They are still
>>>         useful for servers or when some disaster happens in the GUI, but
>>>         who opens 6 console sessions nowadays?
>> I still have 12 console sessions open, and use screen to have
>> more of them.
>

> I hardly think this is Joe Random User's setup..:-)
>
> Not considering the technical backgorund (which is of course an easy
> stance), it could be really interesting to have *by default* the
> default X session on tty1, when a display manager is used, and
> something like 2 other console sessions on tty2 and tty3.

That would break *all* "How to fix my broken X11" on the net. Really bad
especial for those who need them most - newbees.
ALT-CTRL-F7 is somewhat of a standard.

> Of course, if no *dm is used, then the system should logically default
> to N consoles with the first one on tty1. I'd say that N should, in
> such case, be greater than 2.

$ grep "ACTIVE_CONSOLES" /etc/default/console-setup
ACTIVE_CONSOLES="/dev/tty[1-6]"

I really wonder what else is needed then this? As long as this setting isn't
going to be overwritten by some other software i fine it all.
--
bye Thilo

4096R/0xC70B1A8F
721B 1BA0 095C 1ABA 3FC6  7C18 89A4 A2A0 C70B 1A8F