Re: GR proposal: the AGPL does not meet the DFSG (take 2)

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Toni Mueller <toni@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 11.11.2009 at 23:46:59 +0100, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, this is one of the awkward things I find in the AGPL. If it's not
>> a webapp, what then?
>
> please see this:
>
> http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AGPLv3InteractingRemotely
>
> It could eg. also be network file system software (NFS, AFS, SMB,
> etc.).

Yes, I am aware of that. What I was trying to say is "how do we comply, then?"

>> That would be complying with the spirit of the license, but not the
>> actual clause AFAICS.
>
> Ok. I'd say that this should have been an oversight in the formulation
> of the license, but maybe consulting the original discussions when the
> license was in the making, could be enlightening.

Yes, it will help us understand the spirit better. But we are looking
at what the license actually says.

 martin.langhoff@gmail.com
 martin@laptop.org -- School Server Architect
 - ask interesting questions