Re: GR proposal: the AGPL does not meet the DFSG (take 2)

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 11:11 PM, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:
>>    -- The code is modified to interact with the user using a network protocol
>>       that does not allow to display a prominent offer.
>
> This is actually your best argument so far, but I don't think it's
> completely true either.

Yes, this is one of the awkward things I find in the AGPL. If it's not
a webapp, what then?

> If the software uses some other protocol that doesn't allow you to do
> some lay-out like HTTP does, then you simply need to make sure that
> people using your software are informed out-of-band.

That would be complying with the spirit of the license, but not the
actual clause AFAICS.

> "your modified version must prominently offer all users interacting with
> it [...]"
>
> I don't think that must necessarily be interpreted into saying that it
> must be done by the software itself,

Well, it sounds like it does mean exactly that.

 martin.langhoff@gmail.com
 martin@laptop.org -- School Server Architect
 - ask interesting questions