Re: debian/rules "make -f" restriction

On Fri, Oct 30 2009, Tobi wrote:

> Michael Tautschnig schrieb:
>
>> I think Manoj already explained quite well why policy is that specific about a
>> single line.
>
> And I explaind why the policy is over specific in this case :-)

        No. You opined that the policy is over specific, but with little
 rationale beyond "I think this is so".

        I think that
 1. SPECIAL_VDR_SUFFIX=devel make -f debian/rules build
 2. make -f debian/rules SPECIAL_VDR_SUFFIX=devel  build
 3. SPECIAL_VDR_SUFFIX=devel ./debian/rules build
 4. ./debian/rules SPECIAL_VDR_SUFFIX=devel build

        Giving you differing results is confusing enough to anyone
 building the packages manually (You know, as free software folks, the
 buildds are not the sole focus of our packaging) that I think it is
 good that the policy is specific enough to block these.

        I think it would be a good idea to _add_ to policy a rule that
 says that  "make -f debian/rules" and "./debian/rules" must behave
 identically, to prevent confusion, and to promote reproducibility, and
  conform to the principle of least surprise.

        manoj
--
Imagine what we can imagine! Arthur Rubinstein