Re: Switch on compiler hardening defaults

On mar., 2009-10-27 at 09:32 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 4:41 AM, Christoph Anton Mitterer
> <calestyo@scientia.net> wrote:
>
> > Ever thought about integrating PaX [0] per default in Debian?
> > I'm however not sure how much this actually breaks ;)
>
> Any idea if these patches will be merged upstream?

I don't think so. From the wikipedia page:

----
As of mid 2004, PaX has not been submitted for the mainline kernel tree
because The PaX Team does not think it yet appropriate; although PaX is
fully functional on many CPU architectures, including the popular x86
architecture used by most, it still remains partially or fully
unimplemented on some architectures. Those that PaX is effective on
include IA-32(x86), AMD64, IA-64, Alpha, PA-RISC, and 32 and 64 bit
MIPS, PowerPC, and SPARC architectures
----

And I think there is periodically threads on LKML but can't find a
relevant one quickly.

Cheers,

--
Yves-Alexis