Re: unused parameters passed to maintainer scripts

Hi!

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 00:12:24 +0200, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
> I've done a small research against maintainer scripts from all binary packages
> from sid distribution and discovered that some parameters which are passed to
> maintainer scripts are not used at all, specifically:
>
> - in-favour <package> <version> (prerm, postinst) - for sure;
> - removing <package> <version> (prerm, postinst) - for sure;
> - <overwriter> <overwriter-version> (postrm) - most probably, checked only a
> part so far.
>
> So, the question: how do people think, is a goal to deprecate&remove these
> params in dpkg and policy worthy?

What'd be the point of doing that? The maintainer scripts have to be
called anyway for those cases, and the fact that no one uses them now or
in Debian, does not mean there's no use for this information in the
future or in other places.

regards,
guillem