Re: defaulting to net.ipv6.bindv6only=1 for squeeze

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 08:24:31PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:

> I am proposing to set net.ipv6.bindv6only=1 by default for new
> installations, to simplify configuration and administration of systems
> using IPv6 and to make the system behaviour match the one of all other
> operating systems, which default to this or just do not provide a
> choice.
[...]
> While net.ipv6.bindv6only=0 is useful for daemons which are not designed
> to listen on multiple sockets, it is annoying because it requires
> dealing with IPv4-mapped addresses in logs and configuration files
> unless the program takes care to convert them to IPv4 addresses.

And bindv6only=0 is also not RFC compliant. However, a *lot* of applications
that use listening sockets will not work correctly anymore when you change the
default. So it probably is better to make it a release goal that applications
should work with bindv6only=1, and only if enough of them are fixed to change
the default.

      Guus Sliepen <guus@debian.org>