Re: Compiling libbam.a from libbam-dev with -fPIC?

This one time, at band camp, Charles Plessy said:
> Le Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 08:06:09PM -0700, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> > On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 11:56:58AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > > as per Policy § 10.2, I would like to know if everybody agrees if I change the
> > > libbam-dev package to compile libbam.a with -fPIC.
>
> > What are the reasons for not shipping a shared library?  That's always
> > preferred over use of -fPIC for static libs, so we should examine the
> > reasons for this first.
>
> I forgot to mention that the upstream sources do not build a shared library.

Is there some reason you as a maintainer can't?  If the library has no
API or ABI stability, that might be a good reason not to (although it's
a better reason to talk to upstream about why they have to do so), but
otherwise, why not just do it?

Cheers,