shells and posix compliance [was Re: Switching /bin/sh to dash without dash essential]

[not replying off-list because that seems counterproductive and arrogant]

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 03:49:15PM +0000, brian m. carlson wrote:
> Actually, if it's invoked as /bin/sh, it is supposed to be
> Bourne-compatible.  That's my experience with the current version:

Not much effort is put into strict POSIX compliance, though people
certainly do complain about it[1].

> I don't know what other versions do.  I'm working on finding bugs with
> zsh as /bin/sh; see #510358.  If anyone knows about a good /bin/sh
> (POSIX, XSI, or Debian) testsuite, please let me know off-list.

I'd certainly welcome improvements to the posh testsuite to that end.
Run the harness with category 'debian' or 'posix' depending on which
"standard" you're going for.

[1] http://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2009/msg00881.html