Re: xcdroast does no longer work with wodim: Who to blame?

**************
If you are using a coding other than 7-Bit ASCII or ISO-8859-1, you need to
properly declare your transfer encoding. Please fix your mail client!
**************

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

> Le jeudi 26 février 2009 à 13:55 +0100, Joerg Schilling a écrit :
> > Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

> > > Nobody likes it, but since you keep claiming around and around that what
> > > we are doing is illegal, maybe it is time to see on what grounds you are
> > > saying that.
> >
> > The fork _is_ illegal and it is bad to see that Debian did hide the related bug
> > report I made in December 2006.
>
> I???ll teach you something then: trying to intimidate people by making
> legal threats without ground is illegal in many countries. Either you
> prove they have ground (and you???ll have to go to court for that), or you
> stop making such threats *right now*.

A good point: Debian currently spreads several unproven claims about the
original software. It would help a lot of these claims were removed.

> > The original software on the other side is legal.
>
> Of course, since you are the author you can do whatever you want with
> it. However, the restrictions you impose on redistribution don???t allow
> us to distribute it as we want to.

This is wrong: I don't impose any restriction that makes the original code
undistributable. The fork however includes modifications that are incompatible
with the requirements from the Copyright law and the GPL.

> > I am not sure what software you are referring to.....
> > If you are _really_ sure about this, then I recommend you to fix the bugs in
> > your software. I get however lots of reports from various users who successfully
> > replaced the non-working fork by the working original software.
>
> I seriously doubt they can use any serious and modern frontend with the
> version you are currently distributing.

If you see problems with any frontend, you should make a bug report. The
original software works as documented. If there is any frontend does not work, it
has been broken and needs to be fixed.

BTW:
	-	K3b preferres the original cdrtools because they work correctly.

	-	Xcdroast also works correctly if you use the original software.

There are many reports from people who replaced the fork by unmodified original
software in order to finally be able to write CDs and DVDs.

> > > especially because of the lack of UTF-8 support. After all, Unicode is
> > > only a 18-year old standard, so I understand it is a bit too much to ask
> > > for its support.
> >
> > So why is there no UTF-8 support in the fork, you even have a related bug
> > report in the debian bug tracking?
>
> This report is clearly bogus. The reason why UTF-8 is not listed is that
> it is the charset that is selected when no option is specified.
>
> Several frontends to genisoimage/wodim *only* work with UTF-8 filenames.
> If they were serious issues with it, believe me, we???d know it.

You are uninformed and it does not make sense to continue the discussion
unless you first inform yourself:

-	The fork introduced a non-working fake "implementation" for UTF-8 and
	for this reason, there is a related bug report in the debian bug
	tracking system.

-	The original software implements a fully working UTF-8 support

> > wodim still has a lot more bugs than the outdated original it was based on.
>
> Show them. Come on.

I encourage you to read the Debian bug tracking system!

None of the bugs listed in the debian bug tracking system applies to the
original software.

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)