Re: is it a DFSG breach or not?

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 10:23:33PM +0300, Dmitry E. Oboukhov wrote:
> However it seems that there's no source of this JS in public access,

Why so?
I think this is the key of the issue.

I agree with Russ that it is a judgement call, and my personal
judgement would seriously depend on the above question. It is fully
reasonable to believe that the JS file is not obfuscated, but rather
compressed for efficiency reason. But if this is the case, the
original author should have no problem in releasing the fully
commented / indented file.

Arguably, that version is the preferred form of modification, and that
is what I'd want to see in the Debian source package.

If the author is not willing to release the commented / indented file,
I would seriously doubt that the only reason is network efficiency,
and I would personally consider it non-free. But again, I do agree
that it is a subjective matter, and even in the latter case I will not
file the serious bug reports against the other packages.

Cheers.