Re: RFC: Creation of a PostgreSQL database schema for wanna-build data

* Roger Leigh [Sat, 17 Jan 2009 19:32:36 +0000]:

> However, I think a good first step would for both dak and wanna-build
> to share as much of their schemas as is reasonably possible.  To that
> end, I'll update my wanna-build schema to use the same naming as is
> used in projectb as far as is practicable, and then we'll see where
> we can go from there.  It will at the very least make merging the
> databases possible in the future.

Take into account, though, that there are plans to re-design from
scratch the projectb database. In fact, such re-design already exist,
I'm sure ftpmaster can give pointers to it.

* Joerg Jaspert [Sat, 17 Jan 2009 21:29:14 +0100]:

> From that on I think projectb should be readonly for you, but be a major
> source of data.

I think this is reasonable if projectb contains all the data the w-b
database needs. We'd save going to Packages/Sources, which is good. But
if we need to go to Pacakges/Sources to fetch additional information
like Build-Depends, then there isn't much point.

Also, what Roger said about w-b not requiring a projectb instance.
Roger, maybe the gathering of data for w-b db could be made pluggable,
with a default implementation fetching if from Packages/Sources, leaving
room to plug a second implementation which atacks projectb?

Cheers,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

Any life, no matter how long and complex it may be, is made up of a
single moment: the moment in which a man finds out, once and for all,
who he is.
                -- Jorge Luis Borges