Re: RFC: DKMS - Dynamic Kernel Module Support

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 10:00 +0200, David Paleino wrote:
> *Other*
>
> 5) Interoperability with different distributions. DKMS tarballs can be used on
> RHEL, SuSE, Ubuntu, or Debian. If there are different kernels, patches can be
> included in the DKMS tarball to enable support on different kernel releases.
>
> 6) Acceptance in enterprise solutions. Both Redhat & Novell support DKMS as a
> solution for OEMs to provide kernel modules that won't be maintained in the
> upstream tree for the foreseeable future.

A certain major OEM requires its server component vendors to provide any
required out-of-tree modules as DKMS packages.  If Debian were to
include DKMS that would make it easier for users to set up their $OEM
systems if they include components that aren't supported by a stable
release.  Note, we would also need to ensure that alien does a good job
with DKMS RPMs.

Ben.