Re: First call for votes for the Lenny release GR

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 8:03 PM, Pierre Habouzit <madcoder@debian.org> wrote:

>> Choice 5: Assume blobs comply with GPL unless proven otherwise
>
> Why GPL ? Why not BSD ? Why not "DFSG" ?

I believe this is because the GPL requires source code to be
distributed and therefore for the kernel to be distributable with
embedded binary firmware, we have to assume that the "source code" of
the firmware is the firmware itself. This makes it explicit that we
consider binary blobs to be "source code" until proven otherwise.

> And FWIW I still believe this vote is an horrible mix-up of really
> different things, is completely confusing, and I've no clue how to vote.
> I would be surprised other people don't think the same.

Agreed;

I don't understand why #3 is on the ballot since the text talks about
the kernel/firmware only (while the title is more general).

The text for #5 doesn't seem to match the title.

> This vote is nonsensical, and I'm hereby calling people to rank FD first
> or to boycott it. This is a practical joke.

I plan to do something similar.

--
bye,
pabs