Re: How to cope with patches sanely

Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:
> Russ Allbery wrote:

>> With that source package format, everyone using quilt or
>> simple-patchsys can trivially satisfy this requirement, and most uses
>> of dpatch are similarly trivial.  It doesn't provide all of the power
>> of a git or bzr package format, but it's a lot easier to implement

> I hope you realize that both a git and a bzr package format are already
> implemented?

That wasn't really the sort of implementation that I meant, although I
definitely wasn't clear.  I realize it's implemented at the dpkg level,
but for the Debian package maintainer who's currently using Subversion and
quilt, can they generate that package format and (probably harder) recover
their current working format from that package format?

A set of patches is a bit more of a common denominator for people who
aren't yet using git or bzr.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't *also* pursue the git and bzr formats for
the long run, since I think that's where we want to move eventually.  They
just feel less likely to me to solve the immediate problem.