Re: Library versioning

On 30/01/2008, David Paleino wrote:
> I'm packaging a software for the Debian-Med group (CCed), and found
> that, even if the library is at version 2.2.1, the compilation makes a
> libfoo.so.2.0.2 [1].

> Is there any solution to this? If not, is it that important that the
> filename has the same version number as the package?

Hi,

please check libpkg-guide [2] and read about what SONAME, ABI, and API
are. The version number of the package has *nothing* to do with that.
Random example: graphviz has libgraphviz4 (.so.4.0.0), version is 2.16.

 2. http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/

Cheers,

--
Cyril Brulebois