Re: Introducing security hardening features for Lenny

hi moritz,

On Tuesday 29 January 2008 10:16:24 pm Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> A group of people have been working on introducing advanced security
> hardening features into our archive:
> http://alioth.debian.org/projects/hardening/
>
> We recommend to activate the following features in individual packages
> for now and discuss how to enable them system-wide later. (Matthias
> Klose proposed a mechanism in debian-devel, which could be used for
> it: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/12/msg00090.html).
>
> Some maintainers have already pro-actively enabled these features,
> e.g. in the sendmail and openssh packages, but we're heading for
> full archive coverage now.

i guess you're aware of the discussions going on with ubuntu-devel as well?

	https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2008-January/024958.html

(and further posts where some implementation details are debated)

I have to repeat the question that tfheen asked on that list... why
DEB_BUILD_HARDENING=1, and not DEB_BUILD_OPTS=hardening (thus the same as
nostrip,noopt,etc).

otherwise, bravo for the effort!

	sean