Re: How to cope with patches sanely

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 05:45:24PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org> writes:
> > On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 05:37:03PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> >> This work flow simply doesn't work with our current source package
> >> format and a patch management system.  Requiring this to work *with the
> >> current source package format* essentially means outlawing using patch
> >> management systems to manage Debian packages.  That's why this proposal
> >> is controversial.
> > I agree with Lars that we should move toward requiring it to work.
> What I'd like to see is a Debian source package format that supports
> essentially quilt metadata -- in other words, a series file and a set of
> patches.  It's a very minor addition to the current format, and I think
> it's very close to the intention of wig&pen.

Why do you need more than wig&pen?

The meta data can easily be in these version control systems that
everyone on these threads seems to love so much.

If you want to keep more patches than you expose through wig&pen then
just don't publish them in the dsc.

I think all Debian really needs is tools to generate a wig&pen source
package and the appropriate tools to then deal with it e.g. dak and
sbuild updates.

--
Simon Huggins  \ - Oh no.  It's closed.
                \ - We're not pre-school toys Slinky; we can read.