Re: The meaning of Vcs-* fields

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 10:37:10PM +0200, Riku Voipio wrote:
> This was a really usefull bit of information, thanks. Thou
> get-orig-source of madwifi pulls the source to ../tarballs so some manual
> work is still required.
<snip>
> Maybe debcheckout could run get-orig-source if only debian/ directory
> appears under the checkout, or if the upstream version in debian/changelog
> is equal to the one available in apt sources, pull the orig.tar.gz
> there.

I consider the only duty of debcheckout is bringing Joe Random Developer
to the same development environment used by the maintainer of the
package being checked out. And that's what it currently does.

However, if you are complaining that there is no standard way for,
starting from such an environment, obtaining a fully expanded debianized
source tree, then I'm with you with the complaint. In my mind that seems
like what a standardized debian/rules target should account for.

Many people correctly pointed out that get-orig-source is only suggested
by the policy and that, as a best practice, it is recommended only when
repacking is needed. Fair enough. Can we either change its meaning or
add a new target which does what you are asking for?

TIA, Cheers.

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/