Re: Debian on the Desktop - plans for Lenny?

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 10:45:32PM +0200, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 09 August 2007 21:23 schrieb Petter Reinholdtsen:
> > Not sure.  I suspect it depend on the task being installed.  It is
> > currently used to detect which X driver to activate, but that need
> > will go away in the future when X.org manage to configure itself
> > automatically. :)
>
> As long as "automatic" doesn't take more time than "using manual settings",
> that's fine. I doubt that they can detect some of the settings (keyboard
> layout, driver options), though ;)

Obviously we can't automatically do everything or else there wouldn't be a
need for options. But we should do a good enough job to get you up and
running and let you configure what you need from there.

It might take slightly more time in some cases, but the idea would be to
optimize it so that it runs just as fast as currently, or better.
Generally, the stuff you're waiting for when the X server starts are going
to happen whether or not you're parsing a static xorg.conf, so you
shouldn't really lose much by switching to something fully dynamic. It's
something I'm thinking about a bit, but my goal is to take care of doing
autoconfig properly first, and then optimize it later.

 - David Nusinow