Re: GNOME and trolls

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 16:20 +0100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> That said, he should have just used reportbug and let the maintainers
> work it out :)

s/work\ it\ out/reject\ it\/won\'t\ fix\ it/

Sorry, but when I see things like this:

http://lists.linux-foundation.org/pipermail/desktop_architects/2007-February/001125.html

being well thought out and then Mr. Perky Pants responding they way he
does... serves very well to prove a point. Denial and "We are fine and
well on our way!" has made me even more convinced the whole of any GNOME
Team eats Havoc teachings like it was mana from $YOUR_HEAVEN, further
degrading the whole GNOME experience for a user.

I guess, even when someone really does try to be level headed and cool
about the whole thing, they get shutdown exactly the same way I do...
just a bit more gentle.

As of today, I have switched to a different DE. Though I still use some
of the GNOME integration, XFCE v4.3.99.2 has nearly everything I have
been stripped of or never will be added in GNOME.

        Compositing that just works
        Triggers and Events
        Adjustable snap
        Multiple adjustments to smart window placements
        Light on resources (by more than 75% in some cases)
        Easily changeable defaults for many applications
        Friendly "pointy-clicky" settings managers for _all_ settings
        Friendly inter-operation with KDE and GNOME
        Stays out of my way when doing tasks
        Other things I don't care to add to this list.

There are somethings that GNOME has the XFCE doesn't, but I can easily
live with those missing (maybe I just haven't looked enough).

And what caused me to switch? No not this little spat 'tween Linus and
GNOME's dev team, but one of those "Never seen by Joss" happenings.

I don't have it handy, but gconf was terminated as it was segfaulting
and restarting 5+ (maybe more) times a second and then gnome-panel and
nautilus and most other things needing a settings daemon choked. And no,
this wasn't on a login, it just happened when I was watching a DVD using
totem. I tried to logout and back in... but it continued to happen. Even
a reboot (I though maybe some libraries may have been corrupted in
memory) might fix it. Nope.

So, I guess I am that black-sheep of the GNOME userbase that has magical
"never before known or seen" problems.

Adios to GNOME. At least the parts I can leave behind, which is most of
it.

And, to those of you that have responded to me privately in the past
about my rants on Debian-Devel regarding GNOME being not apropos...
don't bother this time.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup