Re: Testing parallel builds

On Monday 08 October 2007 07:49:09 am Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 08, 2007 at 10:53:05AM +0000, Daniel Schepler wrote:
> > Inspired by today's new upload of dpkg, I'm going to try doing a rebuild
> > of the archive using "dpkg-buildpackage -j3" and submit bugs as I find
> > them. The bugs will be wishlist for now, and I'll assign usertag
> > schepler@math.unipd.it:ftbfs-parallel to those bug reports for those
> > interested in tracking the issue.
>
>   Err please just don't. Many upstreams won't build properly with
> parallel builds because their makefile just don't support it. Most
> importantly, I believe that only the biggest packages benefit from a
> parallel build, hence it should be an opt-in option that packagers may
> use if their package support it, and if they believe it matters
> (packages where build time is under the few minutes won't benefit from
> it a lot e.g., as it's probable that most of the time is lost in the
> configure and Debianization stages).

Then isn't that something that should be fixed?  With dual-core processors
becoming more and more common, I would expect some users (myself included) to
be in the habit of typing `make -j2' or `dpkg-buildpackage -j3' to take
advantage, and then get annoyed if it doesn't work.

Especially when the easy work-around, if you don't want to bother adding the
proper dependencies to the make targets, is just to add ".NOPARALLEL:"
somewhere in the Makefile.

Anyway, I'm aware a lot of packages will probably break at the moment, which
is why I'm using wishlist.
--
Daniel Schepler