Re: proposed release goal: DEBIAN/md5sums for all packages

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> So why waste all the mirror space and bandwith for something rather
> useless?

Naïve approximation follows:
Repacking my local apt cache (227 packages, although some are different
versions of the same one) without md5sums files yields a gain of 980102
bytes = 957.13 KB < 1 MB (apparently 13 do not already have a md5sum file,
or weight the same with or without md5sums file). Given that my local cache
weights about 352 MB, then the gain is less than 1/352*100 = 0.28%. Doesn't
seem like a huge waste to me, but then I'm not hosting a mirror.

I would like to note that my local apt cache has a diversity of packages,
ranging from small dummy packages like amarok-engines to relatively large
ones like texlive-latex-base or openoffice.org-core. Thus the approximation
is not that bad I think.

--

  Felipe Sateler