Re: proposed release goal: DEBIAN/md5sums for all packages

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 11:25:38AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

> >> Some packages (aspell and ispell packages in particular) ship files
> >> that they then modify in maintainer scripts and intentionally exclude
> >> them from the md5sums file for that reason.  lintian has special code
> >> to deal with this case.  A replacement in dpkg would either need to
> >> cope with this or decide that those packages can no longer take that
> >> approach and have to solve whatever problem they're solving in some
> >> other way.  (I don't know what problem this is solving.)
>
> > As I understand it, it's so that debsums doesn't complain about that
> > files changes.
>
> Right... I meant more what problem they had that they were solving by
> installing a file in /var as part of the package and then modifying it
> later.  (It always struck me as odd, but I presume they have good reasons
> for doing things that way.)

The hash file, which is architecture dependend, is created on install.
This is the only file in the package that is architecture dependend.

Anyway, there is a policy file about this in:
/usr/share/doc/dictionaries-common-dev/dsdt-policy.txt.gz

Kurt