Re: proposed release goal: DEBIAN/md5sums for all packages

Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> writes:
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 10:12:07AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi> writes:

>>> It strikes me that if we want to make it policy, having dpkg generate
>>> the checksums upon creating the .deb would be the simplest and best way
>>> to do it. This way we wouldn't have to change packages to do it, and if
>>> we ever want to change the format (sha1 as well as md5?) there's only
>>> one place to change it.

>> Some packages (aspell and ispell packages in particular) ship files
>> that they then modify in maintainer scripts and intentionally exclude
>> them from the md5sums file for that reason.  lintian has special code
>> to deal with this case.  A replacement in dpkg would either need to
>> cope with this or decide that those packages can no longer take that
>> approach and have to solve whatever problem they're solving in some
>> other way.  (I don't know what problem this is solving.)

> As I understand it, it's so that debsums doesn't complain about that
> files changes.

Right... I meant more what problem they had that they were solving by
installing a file in /var as part of the package and then modifying it
later.  (It always struck me as odd, but I presume they have good reasons
for doing things that way.)