Re: making debian/copyright machine-interpretable

On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 07:17:59PM +0200, Sam Hocevar <sam@zoy.org> wrote:
>    Hello, I would like to gather comments about a proposal I have been
> thinking about during the GPLv2/v3 and GPLv2/CDDL discussions. I have
> finally written down what I have in mind here, and refined it with the
> help of many people on IRC:
>
>      http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat
(...)

So, I've been trying to fill in a copyright file for WebKit, which is a
package for NEW. For the moment, I'm not very sure I like this wording:

- List of files sharing copyright holders and licensing terms

This all nice, but for huge projects, with a quite not small number of
copyright holders and files, the combinations are huge, and maintaining
such a list would be *really* painful.

It is already painful only listing files sharing only the same licensing
terms.

FWIW, at the end of this message is the list of files sharing 3-clause
BSD licensing terms in WebKit (there are also files under 2-clause BSD
and LGPL, and there are a lot of them ; and some of the globbings here
englobe them).

If I'd have to list files sharing copyright holders AND licensing terms,
I'd have 20 times more such sections, since some files have a
combination of some of the copyright holders, while most have only Apple
Inc. as copyright holder. I really don't think we need to go that far,
it would make the whole copyright file unmaintainable.

Also note WebKit is small compared to the Mozilla code-base, where the
copyright file doesn't actually list all copyright holders (which has
been okay for ftp masters, obviously)

Mike

-8<------------------------------------------------

Files: JavaScriptCore/DerivedSources.make,
       JavaScriptCore/bindings/npruntime.h,
       JavaScriptCore/jscore.bkl,
       WebCore/DerivedSources.make,
       WebCore/Projects/wx/webcore-wx.bkl,
       WebCore/bindings/js/JSHTMLSelectElementCustom.h,
       WebCore/bindings/js/JSEventCustom.cpp,
       WebCore/bridge/mac/WebCoreScriptDebugger.*,
       WebCore/editing/SmartReplace*,
       WebCore/ksvg2/scripts/make_names.pl,
       WebCore/loader/DocumentLoader.*,
       WebCore/loader/FormState.*,
       WebCore/loader/FrameLoader*,
       WebCore/loader/MainResourceLoader.*,
       WebCore/loader/NavigationAction.*,
       WebCore/loader/NetscapePlugInStreamLoader.*,
       WebCore/loader/ResourceLoader.*,
       WebCore/loader/SubresourceLoader*,
       WebCore/loader/mac/*,
       WebCore/page/gdk/InspectorClientGdk.*,
       WebCore/page/BarInfo.*,
       WebCore/page/DOMSelection.*,
       WebCore/page/InspectorController.*,
       WebCore/page/Screen.*,
       WebCore/page/inspector/*,
       WebCore/platform/FileChooser.*,
       WebCore/platform/FontCache.*,
       WebCore/platform/FontData.*,
       WebCore/platform/FontFallbackList.cpp,
       WebCore/platform/Glyph*,
       WebCore/platform/StringTruncator.*,
       WebCore/platform/gdk/FontDataGdk.cpp,
       WebCore/platform/gdk/FontCacheGdk.cpp,
       WebCore/platform/gdk/GlyphPageTreeNodeGdk.cpp,
       WebCore/platform/mac/FileChooserMac.mm,
       WebCore/platform/mac/FontCacheMac.mm,
       WebCore/platform/mac/FontDataMac.mm,
       WebCore/platform/mac/GlyphPageTreeNodeMac.cpp,
       WebCore/platform/mac/WebCoreNSStringExtras.*,
       WebCore/platform/mac/WebCoreObjCExtras.*,
       WebCore/platform/mac/WebFontCache.mm,
       WebCore/platform/mac/make-charset-table.pl,
       WebCore/platform/network/HTTPParsers.*,
       WebCore/platform/network/cf/FormDataStreamCFNet.*,
       WebCore/platform/network/mac/FormDataStreamMac.*,
       WebCore/platform/qt/PlatformScreenQt.cpp,
       WebCore/platform/win/FontCacheWin.cpp,
       WebCore/platform/win/FontDataWin.cpp,
       WebCore/platform/win/GDIObjectCounter.*,
       WebCore/platform/win/GlyphPageTreeNodeWin.cpp,
       WebCore/platform/win/SharedBufferWin.cpp,
       WebCore/platform/win/UniscribeController.*,
       WebCore/platform/wx/FontCacheWx.cpp,
       WebCore/platform/wx/FontDataWx.cpp,
       WebCore/platform/wx/FontPlatformData.h,
       WebCore/platform/wx/GlyphMapWx.cpp,
       WebCore/platform/FloatConversion.h,
       WebCore/rendering/RenderListBox.*,
       WebCore/webcore-base.bkl,
       WebKitQt/WebCoreSupport/InspectorClientQt.*,
       WebKitTools/BuildSlaveSupport/*,
       WebKitTools/CodeCoverage/*,
       WebKitTools/Drosera/*,
       WebKitTools/DumpRenderTree/*,
       WebKitTools/GdkLauncher/Bakefiles.bkgen,
       WebKitTools/Scripts/*,
       WebKitTools/WebKitLauncher/*,
       WebKit/*,
       WebKit/gtk/*,
       WebKit/win/WebDragClient.h,
       WebKit/win/WebKitLogging.*,
       WebKit/win/WebKitStatistics*,
       WebKit/win/WebPreferenceKeysPrivate.h,
       WebKit/win/WebInspectorClient.*,
       WebKit/win/WebNodeHighlight.*
Copyright: © 2006, 2007 Holger Hans Peter Freyther
           © 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007 Apple Inc.
           © 2004, Apple Computer, Inc. and The Mozilla Foundation
           © 2006 Samuel Weinig <sam.weinig@gmail.com>
           © 2006, 2007 Trolltech ASA
           © 2006 Alexey Proskuryakov (ap@nypop.com)
           © 2007 Matt Lilek (pewtermoose@gmail.com)
           © 2006 Michael Emmel mike.emmel@gmail.com
           © 2007 Alp Toker <alp.toker@collabora.co.uk>
           © 2006 Kevin Ollivier
           © 2006 Mark Rowe <opendarwin.org@bdash.net.nz>
           © 2004, 2005, 2006 Nathaniel Smith
           © 2006 David Smith (catfish.man@gmail.com)
           © 2006, 2007 Vladimir Olexa (vladimir.olexa@gmail.com)
           © 2006 Nikolas Zimmermann <zimmermann@kde.org>
           © 2006 Jonas Witt <jonas.witt@gmail.com>
           © 2006 Eric Seidel (eric@webkit.org)
           © 2007 Staikos Computing Services, Inc. <info@staikos.net>
           © 2006 Graham Dennis
License: BSD-3
 modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
 are met:
 .
 1.  Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
     notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
 2.  Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
     documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
 3.  Neither the name of Apple, Inc. ("Apple") nor the names of
     its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
     from this software without specific prior written permission.
 .
 THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY APPLE AND ITS CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY
 EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
 WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
 DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL APPLE OR ITS CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY
 DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
 (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
 LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND
 ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
 (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF
 THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.