Re: Considerations for GTK1 removal from Debian

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 14:45:42 +0000 (UTC)
William Pitcock <nenolod@sacredspiral.co.uk> wrote:

> Neil Williams <codehelp <at> debian.org> writes:
>
> > If those figures are correct, it looks like GTK1 will be with us for
> > quite some time yet.
>
> Don't give up hope quite yet.

To save repeating the list in email:
http://wiki.debian.org/Gtk1WorkSheet

> > After a little more trimming of libraries, packages that are just
> > dependencies of other packages in the list, I get 192 unorphaned
> > gdancer
191
> > gentoo
190
> > imms
189
> > karamba
188
> This is a Qt app, and it has been mostly replaced with SuperKaramba
> AFAIK.
> > mplayer-586
187
> > psemu-input-padjoy
> > psemu-sound-oss
> > psemu-video-x11
184
> > pterm
> > putty
183
> > quicklist
182
> > sylpheed-claws
> > sylpheed-claws-clamav
> > sylpheed-claws-dillo-viewer
> > sylpheed-claws-ghostscript-viewer
> > sylpheed-claws-image-viewer
> > sylpheed-claws-maildir-plugin
> > sylpheed-claws-pgpinline-plugin
> > sylpheed-claws-spamassassin
> > sylpheed-claws-trayicon
> > sylpheed-gtk1
172
> > wmbubble
> > wmcliphist
> > wmclockmon
> > wmfishtime
> > wmmaiload
> > wmressel
166
> > xbindkeys-config
> > xdialog
164
> There's at least 29 (I may have counted wrong) packages that can be
> resolved in the near future anyway.

So out of an initial view of 340, we have ruled out just over 50%.

The remainder may well be using customised Gtk widgets and gnome1
libraries which are significantly more work.

There are probably some more that have simple replacements that have
already been ported or were written for gtk2 from the start.

Anyone interested, feel free to update the page with alternatives,
replacements, missing packages, remove unnecessary listings . . .

Alternatives are available for (nearly) all these - I've been running
without gtk1 for some months and haven't missed it yet - but as the
XMMS thread has shown, alternatives is a thorny issue.
;-)

--

Neil Williams