Re: Two proposals for a better Lenny (testing related).

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 05:32:21PM -0300, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> On 6/12/07, Luk Claes <luk@debian.org> wrote:
> >NO!
> >
> >unstable is meant for packages that should be in the next stable
> >release, as such only packages that are in the maintainer's opinion
> >ready to migrate to testing should be uploaded to unstable.
> >
> >experimental is playground, uploading packages to experimental if one
> >is not sure they are good candidates for testing is what people
> >should do.
>
> I believe we all know and read the official documents we can diverge
> about how people are actually using the branches, but that's not the
> point.

This is not a matter of opinion; both experimental and unstable have a
clear and well-defined meaning. Using either in a different way than
what they are intended to do will *break* Debian.

Don't do that.

If people use experimental incorrectly, then that's a bug. It certainly
isn't something we should be happy or even encouraging.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22