Re: Using standardized SI prefixes

Le mardi 12 juin 2007 à 09:24 +0100, Scott James Remnant a écrit :
> Changing the unit prefixes is just a geek "precision" gratification that
> will confuse everybody who is used to talking about "kilobytes", "and
> gigabytes"...

The confusion lies in the current situation. Bringing precision doesn't
bring any confusion.

> 	"My computer has two gigabytes of RAM!"
> 	"Aha!  No it doesn't!"
> 	"It says two gigabytes."
> 	"No, you mean two gibibytes!  A gigabyte is ten-to-the-nice
> 	 bytes, whereas a gibibyte is two-to-the-thirty bytes!"
> 	*punch*
> 	"Ow!  You broke my nose!"

We're not talking about spoken language here. Nobody cares about
gigabytes / gibibytes when discussing how much RAM / disk / horsepower a
computer has. We are talking of fixing computer programs with incorrect
or confusing display.

Of course, I don't usually care that file sizes in my browser window are
displayed in kibibytes and mebibytes. Not until I select some of them,
see the total size, and ask myself whether they fit on a DVD.

--
 .''`.