Re: Using standardized SI prefixes

On Mon, June 11, 2007 22:11, Eduard Bloch wrote:
>> In either case, ~ 2 million bytes suits your requirement, or it
>> doesn't. This sounds to me like solving a non-problem, unless you can of
>> course tell me in which situations adding the "B" or "iB" in the field
>> above would solve a real question.
>
> Excuse me? Pretty simple example: you have only 2.03 GB (real GB)
> remaining free space (seen in some disk info tool) on your harddisk and you
> are fetching a 2GB file (2 fake GB, 2GiB in fact). So what, it breaks
> about 99% and displays some very unexpected message.

We are talking about tools like aptitude here, or at least, the OP does.
Did you ever have 2 GB free and decided to install a package that would
exactly fill that space in?

I'm not quite convinced that real world situations exist where you'd use
the installed-size parameter of a package in that amount of significance.
Even more because the size of a package can grow a bit due to generated
files and the like.

Thijs