Forking source code for puting into Debian?

Hello Developers and Maintaines,

I have packed the package swhoisd <http://dan.drydog.com/swhoisd/> and
tried to contact the second upstream Dan Anders <mailto:dan@drydog.com>
since now over 8 month it he seems to be dead.

Since I must use the "swhoisd" for my Project "Tamay Dogan Network" and
being registrar I took over the sources and packed it for Debian.

The po files are curently updateing.

Tonight I will try it again tu upload it onto <mentors.debian.net> since
dupload had several crashes had segfaults on my Laptop.

Now I have following Question:

In the TODO list it is written (2001) he wouls add db, posgresql and
mysql support...

Since Upstream seem to be dead I want to take over the sources entirely
and want to try to implement the (frm me required) feature for
postgresql.

Doing this, would it be better, if I fork the "Simpe Whois Daemon"
since after adding such support it would not more be a SIMPEL Whois
Daemon...

My prefered name would be "tdwhoisd" since I prefix all of my programs
with my originating Initials (Tamay Dogan).

Note:   I have currently no Internet@home and can
        only all two day go online (in general).

Thanks for any comments
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)