python-minimal in base?

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 08:43:22AM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> Also note that much of Debian started out as Perl. I won't compare
> the two, but it's basically the same. And there is python-minimal
> and I have heard rumours that it will be in base soon.

What? What? What?

Can you expand on this rumor (you or someone else)? I was postponing a
post on debian-devel asking about having some sort of python in base
since I developed a tool for managing vim add-ons in python, but I'm
scared about uploading it with a dependency on python (since it should
be shipped with vim itself). More generally we have core tools developed
in python (e.g. reportbug), and it's a pity not having the minimal
needed python support for them in base.

I'm thus totally interested in such a rumor :-)