Re: id gives conflicting results

This is already a rather elderly thread, but I think I have some new info
on it.

First, this *only* seems to occur on X sessions started by gdm.

Second, pam_group.so has nothing to do with it.

Third, I removed all local accounts and groups (other than system users
and groups). This is also why it took so long to reply... could not just
go around removing users. This helped a bit: groups cdrom and audio, for
example, seem to work fine now, but keep reading.

Fourth, there is no slapd timeout associated and nscd is not even running
(never was).

Fifth, this *only* seems to occur with group adm (4), not with any other
group, not ever. And this happens with adm every single time. From gdm/X,
trying to access /var/log/syslog (which is owned root.adm and modded 640)
gives EACCES (verified with strace). If I change the group of the file to
anything else my account belongs to, I can access the file.

Now my question is, what's making group id 4 behave different than *every
other* group? (Well, I did not exactly test every single id, only all that
existed on the system.)

Cheers,
Juha

                | Juha Jäykkä, juolja@utu.fi			|
		| Laboratory of Theoretical Physics		|
		| Department of Physics, University of Turku	|
                | home: http://www.utu.fi/~juolja/              |