Surpassing Microsoft quality

   Hi

I've been using Debian for 4 years because I felt confident about it's quality. I've swallowed the ancient software in the name of stability. I've been proud of security updates. I learned how to make the desktop useful for human beings.

Now, I have awaken because of bug 372719. Wine crashes, OpenOffice.org 2.0 crashes upon saving a document. The bug was introduced in "security update" of libfreetype. Identification of problem was quick in OpenOffice.org community, and also in Debian. Just apply the next security update that will fix the bug.

Not that easy. It's 2 months now and bug still there. Why should anyone care about Wine and OpenOffice.org users...

If it is so easy for comunity to simply ignore or doom Wine and OpenOffice.org users and nobody gets hurt, then who could rely on such community? How to keep confidence in Debian? Such behaviour is truly surpassing even the Microsoft.

Not that the bug was my first problem with security updates. Not even that it was my first problem with Debian in my 4-year server and desktop experience. However, I feel like Debian quality is quickly vanishing last year. The ignorance of the damage caused by "security update" is the last, bitter drop in bucket. After 4 years of Debian, maybe it's time to give Ubuntu a try.

      Peter