interface copyrights, was: Re: cdrtools

Hello,

On Sat, 12.08.2006 at 20:40:37 +0200, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
> As a countermeasure, the FSF tries to extend copyright to interfaces,
> so that you do create a derivative work merely by programming to a
> specific interface of a library written by someone else, without
> copying their code.  I'm not sure if this is such a bright idea.

I'm quite sure that this is *NOT* a bright idea and hope that they
don't do this.

If they really pursue that route, they will imho break their own neck
by eg. legitimizing claims and demands brought forward against the
Samba crew. I have a hard time imagining that this is what they really
want, at least "right now", but then, a lawyer might point out my
errors in understanding this...

Best,
--Toni++