Re: Reclaiming automake

On (29/06/06 19:37), Eric Dorland wrote:
> * Scott James Remnant (scott@ubuntu.com) wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 19:11 -0400, Eric Dorland wrote:
> >
> > > Scott James Remnant dropped me an email recently, interested in
> > > improving the automake situation in Ubuntu and Debian[0].
> > >
> > > [0] Their plan, which mirrors mine, is documented here:
> > > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AutomakeTransition

It would be good if you could make a page or two on the Debian wiki. One
with the details about what must happen and what must be checked,
perhaps with lists of packages that can be claimed and then marked
appropriately. It would also be good to have a page that bug reports
that are filed can reference, so that the maintainers have a clear about
what is supposed to happen.

Are the instructions at the bottom of the referenced Ubuntu page exact
enough for you?

> > > Now before I can implement this master plan, I need to fix all the
> > > packages that still build depend on "automake"[1]. To proceed with
> > > this I'd like to file wishlist bugs (with patches) against these
> > > packages one week from today. One week after that, with the Release
> > > Team's blessing, I'd like to start NMUing as much of these packages as
> > > I can. Once that is complete, I'd like to make the transition and
> > > raise the severity of any of bugs that remain.
> > >
> > We should probably work together to cut the time down to make these
> > patches.
>
> I'm going to get started on Saturday, and I'll be on IRC
> (#debian-devel) so if you (or anyone) want to join in the fun, we can
> coordinate there. I've just filed #376047 too, so any bugs filed
> should be made to block that one.

I will help out where possible. I will hopefully email you later with
information on the packages that were referenced as [1] (snipped) that
might help you out as well.

James

--
  James Westby