Re: new tar behavior and --wildcards

On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 10:36 +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:

> > Here, the only way seems to be putting an entry in NEWS.Debian (for
> > users script, ie things not under our control).

Good idea, Christian.

> In addition, I would suggest we reinstate the previous behaviour, but
> display a warning when wildcards are used but --wildcards is not set.

The problem with this is that generating a new warning can also cause
people to need to update scripts, since lots of people seem to parse the
output of commands like tar in wrapper scripts.  So, I'm not convinced
that this is really a good idea.  I'm also always hesitant to deviate
Debian default behavior for utilities like tar from upstream.

All in all, I'm not yet convinced that reverting to the old wildcard
behavior is the right thing to do.  I've only heard about problems in a
few (four?) packages so far, and all of them are Debian-specific
programs that should be easy for us to update.  I see no need for panic,
though it's obviously and clearly regrettable that the packages in
questions are ones that affect processes like building and testing
Debian packages.

Bdale